Live...laugh...love Life with 4 kids 6 and under. Our trip to pick up Tonito in China is: mid-March 2008 through April 12. Our trips to pick up Ricky in Ethiopia are in June and August of 2010.

Friday, April 2, 2010

A Nature Day


Tonio had Good Friday off and so we spent the day hiking around a Forest Preserve and checking out the snakes and gators that hang out there. We saw nesting birds, huge bullfrogs,

towering pine trees, swamps that teemed with swimming snakes and colossal insects,

and gators sunning themselves!
While we were hiking, we kept finding these little lizards in the dead leaves. There were rules posted all over instructing us to stay on the trail, to not let kids or dogs walk in high grass, and other alligator precautions. So of course, I wanted to see if I could catch one of the little lizards and as I stepped my first step off the trail I saw the largest snake I had ever seen in my entire life, zipping away. Who knew the snakes could move that fast!?!? My heart. was pounding. so. hard. Oh my gosh, what a scare. I preferred the snakes in the water because they stayed in the water and I was convinced that they wouldn't come on land. Then the gators seemed so innocent because they were just sitting there (we missed the 13 footer that another family told us about).

The above picture was of a pond that was surrounded by really loud, nesting birds, that seemed so heavy the branches were bowing under the weight of the nests and mamas.
Our little hikers loved looking for different animals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, insects, etc! It was a great way to spend a free day with the whole family:

No comments: